As summer hits an all time high temperature, we need to be safe in many ways.
Here are some tips to keep us all going through our summer months:
1) Find an indoor activity (see our class schedule below). If you find an activity you enjoy – you will be more likely to engage and participate. Everyone has their own preferences – some clubs offer various activities as does Silver Sneakers and the senior center.
Workout and do outdoor activities when the temperatures are coolest – early morning or later in the day just before the sun sets are best.
2) Wear clothing that is cool and lightweight. Lightweight clothing that is SPF-protected helps prevent sunburns when outdoor gardening, along with applying sunscreen every two (2) hours. wearing a wide-brim hat is also beneficial to keep the sun off your face. Cooling towels are now available or you can make your own by placing a wet towel in your freezer and then around your neck region where large blood vessels are located to your brain.
3) Drink plenty of fluids – not only water but also electrolytes. Eating fruits and veggies counts as they contain water. Limit your coffee and caffeine intake e.g. tea, as both are diuretics that result in loss of water. Make sure to drink before, during and after all activities.
4) Eat a snack about 30 minutes prior to your workout to avoid a drop in your Glucose levels and prepare you for your workout. Don’t overheat as your body increases its temperature to digest food.
5) Perform an easy stretch after your workout or activities when you are warmed up. Your muscles are more flexible after activity secondary to blood flow. To prevent injuries, take about 5 minutes to stretch major muscles of your arms and legs (gently) with a 20-30 second hold. Here is a great video by Silver Sneakers – “Stretches You Should Do After a Walk” (<<Click here)
Best health always,
It’s summer! Get outside and play, walk, engage ~ stay active!
Here are some tips for people of all ages to stay active during the summer months:
First drink plenty of water. Our bodies are 60% water. Hydrate often ~ if you wait until you are thirsty it’s too late.
ENJOY EXERCISE AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
Second engage in some form of physical activity daily ~ put down the electronics and move! Activity help us maintain a healthy weight, helps improve mood, decreases pain, improves flexibility, and cardiopulmonary and vascular health. Balance your activity and food intake.
Third use safety measures ~ play it safe by wearing a helmet when bicycling, roller skating, or skate boarding. Wear proper fitting shoes with padded inserts. Walk in safe neighborhoods early when temperatures are lower or walk a mall in cooled air conditioning.
PROTECT YOUR SKIN
Fourth use plenty of sunscreen and sunglasses to protect your skin and eyes. Reapply sunscreen frequently, approximately every two hours is recommended. Wear a hat, sunglasses, and bug spray for protection.
Fifth eat nutritious foods! The new food pyramid focuses on 6 oz of Grains, 2 cups of Fruits and 2.5 cups Vegetables, 5.5 oz servings of Protein, 3 cups of Dairy, plus Physical Activity for 30 minutes for adults and 60 minutes for children each and every day. Sixty to 90 minutes of daily physical activity may be needed to prevent weight gain.
For more information go to: ChooseMyPlate.com
GET OUTDOORS and BREATH
Lastly enjoy the fresh air and just keep moving! We need sunlight and weight bearing activities for good bone heath, cardiovascular health, and muscle strength, endurance, power and mental wellbeing.
“A healthy lifestyle for all ages ~ an active life is a happy life!”
Go to: https://www.ahnewphysicaltherapy.com/ and
Like US on FB: @ahnewphysicaltherapy.
For a free Discovery Visit or Consultation:
Take Action: Contact Dr. Ann H. Newstead, PT, DPT, PhD 210-833-8336