Nutrition, sleep and physical activity are IMPORTANT to our HEALTH and boosts our immune system through:
1) Sleep – if you are having difficulty sleeping, try a bedtime routine.
- a) Exercise earlier in the evening after mealtime – a walk outdoors perhaps.
- b) Follow your walk with a nice relaxing bath or warm shower.
- c) A cup of Chamomile tea [to increase your serotonin and melatonin levels and boost your immune system].
- d) Reading a book or magazine.
2) Antioxidants – enzymes that are present in the body and offer protection from damage caused by free radicals from our environment.
- a) bananas
- b) blueberries
- c) lentils, kidney beans, and black beans
- d) nuts
- e) fruits and vegetables
- f) herbs and spices e.g. oregano, marjoram, cinnamon, dried lemon balm, allspice, cloves, and peppermint
- g) cooked celery and carrots
- h) Exercise recovery is improved with your increased antioxidant levels. Eat some fruits and vegetables before and after you exercise. Berries, dark chocolate, and green leafy vegetables will all improve your antioxidant levels.
- source: https://veryhealthy.life/10-important-facts-about-antioxidants/
3) Vitamins and minerals
4) De-Stressing – if you are anxious or having mood changes, take time to relax and try these for the 7 days. There is no one size fits all way to destress; listen to your mind and body and find the best way for you.
- a) Exercise and physical activity that you enjoy daily – walking, dancing, yoga, etc. Increase the time or number of times per day that you are active. Reminder: Sitting is debilitating. Get up every few minutes – set an alarm if you need to remind yourself to move every 15 minutes.
- b) Yoga or pilates or tai chi.
- c) Deep, controlled breathing. Try slowing your breathing down – in through your nose for 2 seconds, and out through your mouth for 4 to 6 seconds.
- d) Relaxation techniques where you tighten each muscle then relax each body part sequentially.
- e) The “Calm app” to listen to as you fall asleep or put on a fan or relaxing music for “background” noise. https://www.calm.com/
Here are some other tips and thoughts:
- Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories and social media. Try to put together a schedule – especially if you have children or grandchildren staying with you.
- Connect with others. Talk with friends and loved ones over the phone or via video chat about your concerns and how you are feeling.
- Take care of yourself. Take deep breaths, stretch, meditate, or pray. Try to eat healthy meals, exercise regularly, and get plenty of sleep.
Best health always,