It’s a New Year and it’s time to get moving!
Don’t wait until your pain or dizziness is out of control.
We can think of 1 million excuses not to move or exercise.
But what about starting today to get your life back so you can do your favorite activities with family and friends?
Make a resolution to begin today to move and keep moving throughout your lifetime!
There are many myths and misconceptions about your body and “no pain no gain” is one MAJOR misconception!
Here are some tips for the New Year:
- Begin your exercise or physical activity program gradually.
- Increase your activities over the next few weeks no more than 10% per week. Resistance training should follow the principle of “overload” however too much load can lead to injury. Go Slowly.
- You may be a little sore after resistance training, however that soreness should disappear in a day or two. Use ice and heat alternating to reduce your muscle pain. Blood flow to the muscle can help reduce delayed onset of muscle pain and prevent lactic acid build up.
- Keep moving. Gentle flexibility exercises will help increase your muscle length. A flexible yet strong muscle is your aim.
- Find a buddy to work out with. However, a kind reminder: move at your own pace not theirs. If you don’t think you can do an activity start at an easier level. You will be more likely to want to keep moving.
- Remember “Rome was not built in a day”. Increasing your program too quickly can cause pain and injury to a joint or muscle.
If you have questions of how to begin a lifelong program to reduce your pain and/or dizziness and would like a Discovery Visit consultation with Dr. Ann Newstead PT, DPT, PhD please call today (210)-833-8336. Certified Clinical Expert in Aging Adults, Geriatric & Neurological Clinical Specialist, Vestibular Specialist.
Join us for our next complimentary Coffee and Tea with Ann: “AHNew Year: Get Back In Balance” on Saturday, January 18, 2020 at 10:00 am – 11:00 am at 14418 Old Bandera Rd., Helotes, TX 78023. See you there!