Your heart is a muscle. Exercise it! Start moving in the roaring 2020’s!
Aerobics or endurance-based activities are integral to your heart health and mental well-being.
Dancing, walking, jogging, tennis, cycling, swimming, and hiking are all aerobic activities that can improve your endurance and energy level ~ find one that is “fun” for you.
Aerobics have also been shown to help with sleep patterns if done earlier in the day. Here are some tips:
- Start at your level of ability. You should be able to walk and talk at the same time.
- Breathing is important. If you experience shortness of breath ~ slow down a bit. Try pursed lip breathing. Breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth.
- Aerobic activity can be done in a few small bouts of 5-10 minutes throughout your day with a goal of 30 minutes.
- You may want to set a realistic goal and gradually increase your activity toward your goal.
- Your body responds best to changes in exercise intensity and type (e.g. cross training). Try alternating slow and faster bouts of activity.
- Perform 5 days of aerobic activity per week for heart health and overall lifestyle program.
- Just do it! Be consistent in 2020!
Contact us today to join our 21-Day Challenge or for a Discovery Visit for a “tune up” in the roaring 2020’s.
We continue to offer you monthly Otago Fall Prevention workshops, weekly Balance, Yoga and Pilates classes.
Call for more information – your heart will love you!
Ann H. Newstead, PT, DPT, PhD
14418 Old Bandera Rd. Helotes, TX 78023
Dr. Newstead is a Geriatric, Neurologic and Vestibular clinical specialist. Her clinic is located in Old Town Helotes, one block from Flores Country Store. She accepts Medicare and Advantage Plans. Call today.