Meeting ID: 841 9190 0465
Meeting ID: 817 4982 3374
Meeting ID: 545 290 786
*Note: $40 unlimited classes each month
Cash, check or Venmo @Ann-Newstead
Contact Ann for updates 210-833-8336 or ahnewPT@gmail.com
Are you fearful of falling? Have you had a fall or near fall? Are you unsteady? Build your confidence and take control of your fear!
Falling is not a normal part of aging.
What are the facts about falls?
- One out of three people over 65 years old will fall each year
- One out of two people over 85 years old will fall each year.
- Falling can be dangerous. A fall may result in broken bones, hospital visits, loss of the ability to take care of yourself and sometimes even death.
What are some common reasons that people fall?
- Decreased or bad eyesight
- Weak muscles
- Trouble keeping your balance
- Side effects from your medicine
- Bad lighting or dark areas in your house
- Uneven or slippery ground
Good News: You can reduce your chance of falling! What can you do to help stop a fall?
- Schedule an eye check-up.
- Seek an expert physical therapist to design a well-rounded activity and exercise program to improve strength and balance.
- Talk with your health care provider about the side effects of your medicine.
- Remove items from the floor of your house that may cause you to trip like rugs, toys, and foot stools.
- Put nightlights in areas of your house where you walk when it is dark.
Where do I start?
- Schedule an appointment for a health and fall prevention checkup. Make sure to talk about your fear of falling. Ask about your medicine and any side effects.
- Start and keep moving. Use the exercises given to you by your physical therapist to improve your strength and balance. These two skills will help you decrease your chance of falling. Participation in the evidence-based fall prevention programs resulted in improved confidence, decreased fear of falling, and fewer injurious falls.
Contact Ann H. Newstead, PT, DPT, PhD today for a 30-minute free consultation or fall prevention screening at 210-833-8336 or ahnewPT@gmail.com
14418 Old Bandera Road, Helotes, TX 78023